Description of the ACU workshop
- Occupational therapy
Locations/Campuses (video conference using polycom solution)
- North Sydney
- Canberra (on site)
Reasons for integrating portfolio practice
- Development and assessment of skills, attitudes and knowledge.
- Employability: employers are increasingly preferring students provide evidence through e-portfolios (the following come from a study of what employers are looking for - not sure of reference)
- critical thinking
- communication skills
- knowledge of and engagement in the relevant profession - e.g. volunteering
Discussion topics (in general)
This agenda was designed to cater for people migrating from a non-Mahara environment, who have ideas ranging from none to fully developed of what they will be using e-portfolios for, and assumes people have no experience with Mahara. (Even if people have experience with Mahara I spoke of features in future versions.)
(this Google Doc also contains links used during the workshop: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1qJ0LjtGhnH2oZhADKWel_sJ1qSKig0c4RTcB-RtYV1c/edit?pli=1#)
- Exploring past experience with e-portfolio practices and what people were doing with the existing platform (pre-mahara)
- E.g. what were the intentions of teaching staff in their use of e-portfolios
- Are these goals unchanged? Do you have new ideas you want to try out?
- Were teaching staff happy with the results students produced? What was the feedback from students?
- Exploring how teaching staff would transfer what they were doing, and new things they want to do, over to mahara.
- What goals/practices do you want to transfer to mahara?
- have you seen or thought of new approaches you would like to try?
- Exploring what can be done in Mahara
- How might you implement your strategies in Mahara?
4 key areas to Mahara:
- What can Mahara do that couldn’t be done before, or vice-versa?
- what else is possible with e-Portfolios/Mahara that you might try in the future.
- Licensing of artefacts (mahara v1.7) and other considerations.