The following announcement was made yesterday by Kristina Hoeppner to the Mahara Community News Forum.
"It is mid April and thus time for another Mahara release. We have a number of great new features and bug fixes again.
Without further ado, here are some of the highlights:
- Fulltext search support for MySQL with Elasticsearch
- Series of accessibility improvements to achieve W3C WCAG 2.0 Level AA (except for some admin pages)
- Place feedback for a page in a block
- Institution-specific dashboard and default language
- Profile completion progress bar
- Spam protection enhancements
- Cookie Consent (esp. important for European users)
Other notable new features include:
- Support for Creative Commons 4.0
- Sort files in the "Folder" block ascending or descending and set default sort order
- Download an entire folder of files as zip file
See the full list of new features and bug fixes here:
Some of these are extremely important, such as the accessibility work. Others that I like are the flexibility of choosing where the audience feedback can go (I wonder if I can have more than one?) and spam protection (though we don't have self registration).
Managing files is a big deal in Mahara when you have lots of them, so being able to sort is a great usability improvement. Hopefully these kind of tools will made available for Pages as well, e.g. sort by most recently edited, etc.
Ability to ZIP all files, this one is huge when you think about it, backing my files is ultimately my responsibility, no one can/should rely totally on someone else to backup their data. So the ability to download all my files as a ZIP file is the kind of access I need to have with my files to do this. Transitioning away from Mahara to cloud storage + other cloud apps if you need to is another perhaps more obvious use case.
It's great to see Mahara improving all the time. Many thanks to the community!